- PCOD is prevalent in 4% to 12% of women in their reproductive years of life.
- PCOD is designated as the most common reproductive endocrinopathy of women.
Symptoms of PCOD
- Irregular Menstruation
- Loss of scalp hairs
Who should be screened for PCOD
- You are Obese
- You have menstrual Irregularities
- You have Infertility
- You have features of hirsutism
- You have Acne
- You have Acanthosis (Skin hyperpigmentation)
- You have loss of Scalp hairs
- You are hypertensive
- You have family history of PCOD
- Your first degree male relative (Father/Brother) has high DHEAS
- You have Diabetes Mellitus or Insulin Resistance
- You have high Cholesterol
- You have Sexual Dysfunction
Laboratory Findings in PCOD
- High Testosterone, DHT
- High/ Normal DHEAS
- High 17-OH Progesterone
- High Serum Insulin
- High LH
- Low FSH
- High/Normal Estradiol
- Low Progesterone
- High/Normal Prolactin
- Polycystic Ovaries on Ultrasound study
Complications in PCOD
- Menstrual Irregularities
- Endometrial Hyperplasia
- Endometrail Cancer
- Ovarian Cancer
- Diabetes Mellitus
- Sexual Dysfunction
- Cardiovascular diseases
- Aesthetic Complications
Management of PCOD
- Identification of underlying endocrine (hormones) alterations.
- Correction of endocrine (hormones) alterations.
- Weight management.
- Life style management.
- Aesthetic management (along with endocrine correction) for hirsutism.
- Prevention of complications.
- Management of Complications.
- Judicious use of hormones.
Few recommendations by Dr. Deepak Anjana V. Chaturvedi to remember before going for stem cells based therapies
- Stem cells based therapies have the potential to be a great futuristic medicine.
- The effects of Stem Cells based therapies are yet to be proven.
- Go autologous first.
- Don't pay very hefty amounts for the same.
- Don't expect miracles but stay optimistic.
- Evaluate yourself thoroughly before going ahead with it.
- Don't fall prey to tall claims made by the therapy providers.
- Don't leave your ongoing treatment (medicines etc) without consulting your doctor.
- Everything has a potential to give unwanted effects or to get fail. Please stay prepared for the same.
Dr. Deepak Anjana V. Chaturvedi's view on Diet
- 1. No fixed rules about eating behavior.
- 2. Living long (longevity), Living healthy (wellness), Improved quality of life index (Antiaging) and living comfortably with one or more disability and disease are different entities.
- 3. Every condition mentioned in point no.2 needs different dietary framework.
- 4. Affordability and availability are other issues in practical life.
- 5. Religious and cultural factors affect human eating behavior very much.
Dr.Deepak Chaturvedi strongly believes that disturbance of one hormone in the body brings simultaneous disturbances of other Endocrine (hormones) and metabolic components and hence advises you not to take the hormone replacement/corrective therapy as over the counter medication. The physiological roles of the hormones should not be considered as the pharmacological measures till there is enough clinical/laboratory evidence of hormones deficiency/Excess.
Dr.Deepak Chaturvedi insists that you should visit your physician if you find any of the symptoms of Hormonal imbalances in you and get yourself evaluated in depth.
If you want to schedule a consultation from Dr.Deepak Chaturvedi, then Click here